Clinics & Projects
Guardianship Care Plan Review
Volunteer in flexible 3-hour blocks at the Probate & Family Courts in the following counties: Suffolk, Middlesex, Norfolk, Essex, Bristol, Plymouth, Barnstable, Hampden and Hampshire.
Under the Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code (MUPC), guardians of adult incapacitated persons must file an initial Care Plan/Report with the court within 60 days of the guardianship appointment, and yearly in subsequent years. Using a checklist developed by the court, volunteers from VLP/Senior Partners for Justice assist the court in reviewing these Care Plans /Annual Reports and protect individuals under guardianship.
Attorneys provide Limited Assistance Representation (LAR) to clients, meaning they are only involved in the case for that day. Not trained in LAR? Watch a training and read required materials.
How it Works
- Volunteers call the Registry of Probate at the courthouse they wish to volunteer in to:
1) check if they need help reviewing care plans and
2) schedule a time to come in.
- Volunteers go to the courthouse during their planned time.
- The courthouse provides guardianship files with care plans that need to be reviewed.
- Volunteers read the care plan to check for completion and flag any concerns.
Attorneys can be paired with experienced volunteers who are familiar with the process. We have forms, files, reference materials and other necessary items for volunteer attorneys.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Limited Assistance Representation means you start and finish with your client on the same day; no greater commitment with court proceedings or legal services needed.
- Mentorship: Our newer attorneys learn from more experienced attorneys, and more seasoned lawyers get the chance to mentor and guide.
- Networking: Meet fellow attorneys in your area of practice and get connected with other legal professionals.
The Volunteer Lawyers Project provides primary malpractice insurance for all pro bono work.
Let us know about the good work you are doing on this project! You can report planned or past reviewing sessions by using this online form or by or by emailing Barbara Siegel at email@example.com.