Telephone & Legal Answers Online
Telephone Advice & Legal Answers Online
Telephone Advice Panel
Our Call Center, the Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) helpline, needs experienced attorneys to help provide telephone advice. You can provide 30 minutes of advice from anywhere on subjects including family law, probate, housing, and consumer law.
How it works:
- Sign up to volunteer for 30-minute phone consultations, at a time that’s convenient for you. Clients who contact the ERLI helpline and are eligible for services but don’t meet priorities for direct representation are scheduled for these telephone advice sessions. You’ll be notified when a client signs up for one of your time slots, and you’ll be given necessary background information prior to the call.
- Clients are advised that they are being referred for a consultation only, not direct representation.
- Volunteer as often as you like and speak with the client from anywhere. The VLP office at 7 Winthrop Sq, Floor 2 and the ERLI call center at 197 Friend St. in Boston are also available for telephone sessions.
- We suggest that you sign up for at least two 30-minute sessions at a time.
Legal Answers Online
This program is a project of the Massachusetts Law Reform Institute in cooperation with Volunteer Lawyers Project.
Answer a question anytime from anywhere
Mass Legal Answers Online is a virtual legal advice clinic that is part of the American Bar Association’s Free Legal Answers project. Launched in 2016, the secure Q&A website lets low-income Massachusetts residents to post their legal questions and allows volunteer attorneys to answer them.
How it works:
- Choose the questions you want to answer — at any time and from any location.
- This is a limited scope service — the clients know in advance that your assistance is restricted to answering their civil legal question, and that you will not go to court with them or prepare any paperwork.
- No required time commitment, although we encourage you to answer at least one question a month.
- Open to all attorneys in good standing who are licensed to practice law in Massachusetts or registered for pro bono status with the Board of Bar Overseers, including in-house counsel and retired attorneys.
- Malpractice coverage provided to volunteer attorneys for legal guidance provided through the website.