Ways to Get Involved
Everything we do relies on volunteers like you. Your time and effort help give the people of Greater Boston access to quality legal representation. When you sign-up to volunteer, you’re instantly a part of a remarkable team, embarking on a meaningful and memorable experience — and we’re here to support you every step of the way.
WELCOME TO ALL
We welcome attorneys with all levels and types of experience, and we provide mentoring and trainings opportunities in many areas to prepare attorneys for the types of cases they will handle. We also offer volunteer opportunities for students, law students, paralegals, and non-legal professionals.
Check out our VLP Honor Roll to see all of the attorneys, retired judges, paralegals, and students who have dedicated their time to VLP this year!
Why Volunteer? Why Pro Bono?
The Massachusets Rules of Professional Conduct for Lawyers say you should do at least 25 hours of pro bono service for people of limited means every year. Many law schools now require pro bono for graduation, and even some states like New York require pro bono for bar admission.
But the reasons to volunteer go beyond fulfilling a requirement. At the Volunteer Lawyers Project, you’re not just putting your experience and knowledge to good use. You’re given the opportunity to gain experience, have great mentors and most of all help people in need.
Supporting Your Success
- Welcoming: When you volunteer with us, you’re joining a dedicated team of professionals ready to support you. Our staff prides itself on being approachable as well as knowledgeable. We are here to assist as well as provide insightful information. View our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for detailed information on a range of topics.
- Training: We want to ensure that you are prepared and successful. We provide new volunteer orientation and free trainings in all of our legal areas, so you feel ready and confident to handle your cases. We also offer Continuing Legal Education vouchers for our active volunteers. To learn more, visit our Calendar of Events.
- Mentoring: Having a strong mentor is a valuable opportunity to grown and learn. At VLP our experienced volunteer attorneys and staff are knowledgeable in family law, wills, guardianship, landlord-tenant, consumer debt, unemployment insurance, bankruptcy, and employment law. To give you additional support, we have e-mail discussion groups and a Mentoring Round table with engaging sessions that provide an opportunity for volunteer attorneys to meet over lunch to talk about cases, clients and more. Learn more.
- Vetting and Insuring: All cases are fully vetted by our staff, before they are matched with volunteers. We also provide professionals with malpractice liability insurance.
- Translating and Interpreting: Communication is vital for successful representation. We provide interpreters for our English-speaking attorneys for clients with a limited English proficiency.
- Innovating: We are up-to-date with the innovative technology you need to be successful, and our VLP portal will give you access to many useful resources.