Student and Paralegal Opportunities
VLP is a legal aid organization that connects law students and volunteer attorneys with low-income clients of the Greater Boston Area in order to provide free legal services in civil cases. Volunteering at VLP is an incredibly rewarding experience, and your dedicated support is critical to ensuring equal access to justice.
- Civil Appeals Legal Clinic
- VLP directs a Civil Appeal Legal Clinic that includes pro bono participation by large firms. This is a great opportunity for students to get exposure to appellate advocacy and interact with court clerks and our participating pro bono firms.Working with VLP staff and pro bono firm partners, interns screen and assist clients seeking to appeal a Massachusetts State Court decision related to a wide variety of civil matters. The clinic also advises litigants on lower court remedies.Duties include screening clients for eligibility, completing legal intakes, conducting client interviews, and assisting with drafting of documents. Additional activities outside of the clinic may include participating in weekly case review meetings, client follow-up, researching legal information, advice, and referrals.
- The Civil Appeals Legal Clinic takes place at the Massachusetts Appeals Court in the John Adams Court every Wednesday from 12:30-4PM and requires a commitment on Wednesdays and Thursdays.
- DotHouse Legal Clinic
- VLP directs a Medical Legal Partenrship with DotHouse Health, a community healthcare center in Dorchester, and Ropes and Gray, a major private law firm and partner. This is a unique opportunity for students to work in an underserved, diverse, community and experience how medical and legal professionals can partner to identify and address legal needs that improve patients’ health outcomes and lives.Working with VLP staff members and supervisors, interns screen and assist patients referred by the DotHouse Health providers on a wide variety of civil matters. Duties include screening clients for eligibility, completing legal intakes, scheduling client intakes, conducting client interviews, preparing and presenting case summaries at the firm, and assisting with drafting of documents. Additional activities outside of the clinic may include participating in weekly case review meetings, client follow-up, researching legal information, advice, and referrals.
- The DotHouse Legal Clinic takes place onsite at the DotHouse Health Center in Dorchester every Tuesday from 1-5pm and requires a commitment on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Support staff and volunteer attorneys at clinics – often in courthouses
- Perform intake and observe proceedings
- *3:03 Certified Students along with supervising attorney assist clients
A minimum of 12-16 hours per week each semester.
Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer semesters.
If you are interested in any of the Student & Paralegal Opportunities use this centralized form by clicking below.