Join an incredible team.
We provide the resources, tools and support our staff needs to serve our cause. When you join us, you immediately become a vital part of a bigger picture.
Current job listings:
To apply, please submit resume and cover letter here.
DAYS/HOURS: Mon – Fri, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM
REPORTS TO: Chris Neighbours, Supervisor
UNIT: Eastern Region Legal Intake (ERLI) of the Volunteer Lawyers Project
LOCATION: 197 Friend St., 9th Floor, Boston, MA 02114
SALARY: Starting at $36,000 commensurate with experience
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Volunteer Lawyers Project of the Boston Bar Association (VLP) provides free civil legal assistance to low-income residents of Greater Boston, primarily through the pro bono services of private attorneys. Eastern Region Legal Intake is a project of VLP that provides callers with information, advice, and referrals; screens clients for legal aid eligibility; and conducts intakes in legal aid priority cases.
This is a permanent, full-time staff position on the intake phone line.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Bilingual; fluent in English and Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Mandarin or Cantonese.
- Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system or a law office that handles civil cases.
- Prior experience with an organization serving low-income populations.
- Prior experience working with victims of crimes.
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Knowledge of MA laws surrounding Housing, Family Law, Benefits and Consumer
- Ability to conduct legal analysis and apply the law to client’s case facts under the supervision of attorneys
- Ability to utilize case management supervision to deliver information and legal advice accurately under the supervision of attorneys
- Strong writing skills
- Ability to learn and retain information quickly
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to learn and use case management software and phone systems
- Heavy use of computer and phone
- Ability to effectively and efficiently communicate over the phone
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Conduct intakes and provide legal information and referrals over the intake line.
- Coordinate and manage Advice Panels (scheduling volunteer attorneys to call and advise clients)
- Staff VLP court based clinics
- Update changes to Intake Priorities and Questionnaires
- Conduct community outreach
- General administrative work such as data gathering, scanning and filing
- Other duties as determined by Program needs
Volunteer Lawyers Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Volunteer Lawyers Project is an equal opportunity employer.