Join an incredible team.
We provide the resources, tools and support our staff needs to serve our cause. When you join us, you immediately become a vital part of a bigger picture.
Click here to apply.
The deadline to apply for this position is 11/04/2020 (November 4, 2020). Applications will not be accepted after this date.
POSITION: Bilingual Paralegal
DAYS/HOURS: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm, 35 hours per week (with 1 evening clinic)
REPORTS TO: Staff Attorney
UNIT(S): Bankruptcy/Unemployment Insurance
LOCATION: 7 Winthrop Square, Floor 2, Boston, MA 02110*
*Position will be remote until the office re-opens
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) represents low-income people in the Greater Boston area on a variety of civil legal problems, including housing, consumer issues, and family law matters. Many cases are referred to volunteer private attorneys who handle the cases with VLP providing training and ongoing support. This role supports the organization’s attorneys as well as the pro bono panel in all aspects of the legal and administrative functions of the Bankruptcy and Unemployment Units, case management for the units, and other duties as necessary to carry out the mission of the organization. Candidates must be motivated and committed to public interest work and access to justice.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Fluency in English and Spanish
- Prior experience working in legal aid, the court system, or a law office that handles civil cases
- Prior experience with an organization serving low-income populations
- Experience with and/or ability to use Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to effectively engage with the private bar in recruiting and retaining volunteer attorneys
- Knowledge of Federal and MA laws surrounding Bankruptcy, Consumer, and Unemployment Insurance
- Ability to use a computer and phone for several hours a day
- Ability to travel to courthouses and other clinic locations in the Greater Boston area
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong administrative and organizational skills and ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently and ability to be detail oriented
- Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and staff at outside organizations
- Ability to exercise good judgment, be reliable, and flexible
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Conduct intakes of new clients at clinics, as needed
Bankruptcy and Unemployment Paralegal Duties
- Develop and maintain the administrative support for screening new cases to ensure client eligibility for VLP services and completion of files for screening by staff attorneys in a timely manner
- Supervise Bankruptcy and Unemployment Unit interns
- Lead weekly case review meetings for the Bankruptcy and Unemployment Units
- Draft case referral memoranda to be reviewed by staff attorneys
- Provide the main telephone/email support for fielding questions from clients seeking to file bankruptcy
- Maintain contact with clients on cases that need further assistance or representation
- Provide administrative and technical support for volunteer attorneys during the duration of their bankruptcy case
- Schedule clients, attorneys, and intern volunteers for bankruptcy clinics
- Set up bankruptcy clinics in the office or at DotHouse
- Conduct intake of new clients in the office and at clinics
- Collect required documentation for bankruptcy cases and assist with obtaining credit reports
- Attend legal and non-legal trainings as needed for professional development
- Compile and maintain case reports
- Other program duties as assigned
Volunteer Lawyers Project is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. VLP strives to ensure that those working in our organization reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. VLP encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for positions.
VLP is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity and expression, pregnancy, national origin, veteran status, and military status or any other characteristic protected by applicable local, state, or federal law.