Clinics & Projects
SERV (Settlement and Early Resolution Volunteers)
SERV is a court-certified pro bono program that provides conciliation to low-income, unrepresented parties in family law cases. Founded by experienced family law attorneys Vickie Rothbaum and Robin Murphy, SERV’s focus on conciliation helps both sides reach a fair agreement that day.
How it Works
- Court clerks send family law cases to SERV
- VLP legal advocate matches both parties with a volunteer.
- Volunteers may:
- go over general court procedure
- help draft a separation agreement, parenting plan, or review child support
We have forms, files, reference materials and other necessary items for volunteer attorneys as well as assistance from our VLP legal advocate.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Limited Assistance Representation means you start and finish with your client on the same day; no greater commitment with court proceedings or legal services needed.
- Mentorship: Our newer attorneys learn from more experienced attorneys, and more seasoned lawyers get the chance to mentor and guide.
- Networking: Meet fellow attorneys in your area of practice and get connected with other legal professionals.
The Volunteer Lawyers Project provides primary malpractice insurance for all pro bono work.